Sunday, July 18, 2021

TMTMM Countdown: 101 Favorite NES Games Part 1 (#'s 91-101)

(Note: This is the first part of a countdown of my 101 Favorite NES games.  Im not saying these are the 101 best NES games or even 101 good NES games, just that they are the 101 games that I like the most.  I dont expect you to have the same list, cause that would be strange if we literally liked 101 games exactly the same way.)
 
91)California Games-


Whats cooler than California?  Nothing. (Ask 90210, Troop Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills Ninja, etc,etc)  This game was just cool and the games they played were the ones the cool kids were playing when I was growing up, Skateboarding, Hackey sack, etc. 

 





92)A Boy and His Blob-


 

I never got very far in this game.  I was not good at this game.  This game graphically was decent and the control was ok, but the concept of companionship in games was forever altered by playing this.  In many ways this game prepped me for Portal and Ico.

 


93)Ghostbusters-




 

 Lets be clear if not for The Real Ghostbusters cartoon this one wouldn't of made my list.  I love the movies(not the shitty 201x version, fuck that shit) but the cartoon was the shit back in its day.  Slimer and Stay-Puff were just as adorable as Gizmo back in the day.



94)1943-

Not a huge fan of vertical shooters either, mainly because I suck at them, lol.  That said the beauty of this game and the fun gameplay design choices makes it a fun pick up and play a bit game to me.  Its amazing how much better this one is to the game that came before it, the sound on 1942 alone make it one of the worst NES games.


 

95)Karnov-


 This games significance to me is purely personal one and wont make sense to anyone else but its all about someone saying "Cause Im a Witch" and it scaring the hell out of Steven the Heathen.


96)Metal Gear-

 Ok lets start by saying I adore the work of Kojima.  The man is a storyteller 2nd to none in the video game industry.  That said the MG games just are not the type of game I can get into.  Its placement even this high is a mark to how great its story is and how well its all put together, its not a knock to the game, I just couldn't ever truly enjoy the game play.



 97)Mach Rider-

 All style very little substance but still one of my favorite looking games ever.  Just something so beautiful about the art style.


98)Rampage-
 

 

What was essentially Godzilla and King Kong destroying cities.  What wasn't to like?  Better versions exist and the movie legit pissed me off enough to drop this as low as it is.



 99)Strider- 


 

No this game is not a great port or even an amazing NES game, but so good was the original that a OK port to lesser hardware is still this good.

 100)TMNT III-


 
By all accounts the best 8-bit TMNT game, the only reason its so low on list is that Id moved on from the Turtles by this point so It didn't maintain my interest as much, plus while being the best 8-bit TMNT game, the arcade classic was still way better.



 101)Punisher-

 Simple but fun arcade shooter.  Not the best game ever but I liked the comic character so I enjoyed the game.



Honorable Mentions:

Galaga


Life Force
Ms. Pac-Man


GI Joe The Atlantis Factor

                                                                         
Gremlins 2 























No comments:

Post a Comment

The Year that Santa Stopped Existing

The Year that Santa Stopped Existing              Every Christmas Eve we would all gather in the van, big green stinky ass hazard it was...